What is e Sim? Can we use e Sim in our phones in India? Do i need to buy e Sim devices ?
The use of the Subscriber Identification Module or SIM card has been a vital aspect of many mobile devices for years. A SIM card is needed to secure information on a mobile subscriber’s data. Apple is using a SIM card for its Watch 3 but it is different from what people often expect. The Apple Watch 3 is specifically using an eSIM card. It uses a virtually embedded design that cannot be removed from the watch. It is essentially a virtual version of the SIM card.
The Apple Watch 3 is not the first eSIM device out on the market. The Samsung Gear S2 3G watch came out in 2016 with an eSIM setup. But Apple’s decision to use this feature marks a huge turn as it shows the company is looking to bring the distinct technology out to the mainstream.
The eSIM is the natural evolution of the Apple SIM that was utilized in some of the 4G-enabled iPads the company made a while ago. This allowed people to switch from one operator to another with ease as the SIM card was software-based. The new eSIM is more of a standard that the GSMA supports and not necessarily an Apple innovation but it is something very different from what people often expect to find out of their devices.
About the Watch
The Apple Watch 3 will be one of the most exciting mobile devices for people to watch for. This is designed to be utilized as a watch that also works as a cellular phone. It uses the functionality of original Apple Watch models while using the eSIM to make it active on any mobile numbers. Calls and texts can be sent through a simple watch mechanism.
This watch can be used on one of many networks. It can be used in the United States on the T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint networks. The eSIM card can read information on one of these networks at a time. At this moment EE is the only network in the United Kingdom that can use the eSIM card for the Apple Watch 3 although that might change in the future.
About the Card
The Apple Watch 3 uses an eSIM card that replaces the traditional SIM card that people have come to expect out of their devices. It is a non-removable unit that fits inside the watch and reads mobile network information. It lists information on all the phone data that one has including the phone number attached to the phone, the network it is on and all the call data and messages that would be involved.
The setup for the eSIM card uses a brief link that connects to a set up network. The user just has to get the watch to link to a mobile network. It will scan mobile network signals in an area as the eSIM card figures out what can be utilized at a given time. This improves upon how well the connection in the watch can be used.
What Makes It Beneficial?
The eSIM card does have some features that are similar to what people have come to expect out of traditional cards but the beneficial features of the eSIM include support for a larger variety of connections and controls. This adds to a special layout for the Apple Watch’s use. In particular, there are several positives surrounding the eSIM card that make it distinct:
- The eSIM card does have a physical design but it is extremely minimal. It is much smaller than a nano SIM card. It is small enough to where it cannot be physically removed without damaging the rest of the watch.
- This will not impact the water resistance of the watch’s shell. The body of the card is small enough to allow the device to stay functional and active without any disruptions.
- It is designed for devices where a traditional SIM card is unable to work. These include devices that are very small in size and require the most intricate parts for them to work properly.
- Various mobile companies are taking in support for the eSIM card. These include Apple, Samsung, AT&T, Orange, Telefonica and Vodafone among many others. Hutchison Whampoa, which will soon own O2, also supports the card.
- When traveling between countries, the eSIM can quickly switch to a different local network. This is critical when going outside the European Union where roaming charges are very commonplace and expensive.
- No adaptors are required to get the eSIM card ready. The card fits securely inside the phone to keep it functional and useful. It will not shift or move out of its spot.
Data is Rewritable
It is very easy to move data from a traditional SIM card into an eSIM. The network data on the original card can be carried over to an eSIM with ease. Information can also be rewritten on the eSIM card and transferred to other eSIM cards quickly. All that a person has to do now is make a phone call to change an operator to move a phone number to a new network.
The Move to Smaller Devices
The most important part of the Apple Watch 3 eSIM device is that the new SIM card makes it easier for data to be handled well. The eSIM will certainly work better for smaller devices, a point that is especially critical as smart watches become more prominent. The use of the eSIM device is expected to expand further and is even being used on the Google Pixel 2 phones although this is only for Project Fi subscribers. Expect the use of the eSIM card on the Apple Watch 3 to become all the more prominent and useful.